Giving Means: Community-Driven, People-Funded Development
Giving Means is a Canada World Youth (CWY) development and public engagement initiative that provides the Canadian public with the opportunity to have a direct and meaningful impact on the lives of people in small communities in Africa, Latin America and Asia.
Community-Driven, People Funded Development
Giving Means projects are youth-led development projects that promote change in the local community and provide economic opportunities for the youth involved. These projects are implemented on an annual basis and are supported by our Youth Leaders in Action youth volunteers who lead public education and fundraising campaigns in Canada. The activities run by the youth volunteers aim at building bridges of financial support from the Canadian public to our overseas partner communities who have identified the need for those local and tangible development projects.
In 2012-2013, our Youth Leaders in Action teams helped to fundraise and raise awareness for 15 youth-led community projects in our program countries, including Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Bolivia, Mozambique, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Benin and Indonesia. To date, these teams have raised over $35,000 through various activities and events that have engaged several thousand Canadians in communities across the country, from St. John’s, NFLD to Duncan, BC.
Click on any of the following links to find out more about our current Giving Means projects and to contribute to our fundraising efforts:
- Bolivia – Women’s shelter technology centre
- Ghana – Community bakery
- Ghana – Equipment rental for community events
- Honduras – Building latrines for healthier waste management
- Honduras – Crafts microenterprise for people living with HIV/AIDS
- Kenya – Camping equipment rental initiative
- Kenya – Local agricultural initiative
- Benin – Protection of malnourished children
- Ghana – Sustainable animal rearing
- Indonesia – Potato chips processing
- Indonesia – Internet café for students
- Mozambique – Community health and sanitation project
- Nicaragua – Beekeeping youth-led microenterprise
- Peru – Yogurt production project
- South Africa – Beyond schools project
Cet article est également disponible en FR.